A 2-skills (Speaking & Listening) exam in English, aligned to the B1 level of the CEFR*. It is a Secure English Language Test (SELT) for UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) delivered through LanguageCert’s global network of SELT Centres.
About the exam:
- Consists of a short conversation online with a live interlocutor
- Duration 11-13 minutes
- Each candidate is examined individually
- Topics and tasks are based on practical experience
CEFR level B1 is the minimum requirement for the following visa types:
- Indefinite Leave to Remain: ILR (Settlement/Permanent Residency)
- British Citizenship (Naturalisation)
After the exam, candidates receive a Test Report displaying their score and unique reference number (URN). The URN must be included in the visa application.
Visa requirement information is subject to change. Applicants should refer to UK Government guidance on English language exams for visas and are responsible for ensuring they take the correct exam.
*Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR), developed by the Council of Europe, is widely used to describe levels of language proficiency.
|FORMAT||Online interview with a live interlocutor|
|SELT SCORE||Speaking & Listening 60/100|
|PROVISIONAL RESULTS||A few minutes after the exam|
|TEST REPORT||Issued 3 business days after the exam|
Online interview with a live interlocutor
Speaking & Listening
Personal information: respond to questions on familiar matters
Situational role play: initiate and respond appropriately to social situations
Exchanging information: exchange information on a given image/set of images
Listen and respond: answer questions on a short monologue delivered by the interlocutor
Long turn: deliver a short, uninterrupted talk on a relevant topic provided by the interlocutor
Official practice material
- Practice Paper 1
- Practice Paper 2
- Speaking & Listening Interview sample
- Qualification Handbook IESOL (Speaking & Listening)
We work with prominent publishing houses to ensure that our partners and candidates have access to top quality learning materials for LanguageCert SELT exams. Below is a list of available books linked to publishers’ websites:
- Success at LanguageCert B1 ESOL SELT Student’s book, ISBN: 9781781649800
- Success at LanguageCert B1 ESOL SELT Self-study Edition, ISBN: 9781781649787
- Success at LanguageCert B1 ESOL SELT Teacher’s book, ISBN: 9781781649794
Candidates who achieve an average score of 60% or more in the Speaking & Listening exam will be awarded the corresponding LanguageCert International ESOL certificate.